Retiring from uClibc development

Steven J. Hill sjhill at realitydiluted.com
Mon Apr 3 01:39:03 UTC 2006

Rob Landley wrote:

> My current employer (Timesys) is the first company that's _ever_ let me do
> open source development on company time (which is highly cool), but even
> there the majority of what I'm supposed to work on is in-house stuff.  I'm
> still getting about 2/3 of my busybox development done evenings and weekends.

Been there, done that. Don't forget I'm ex-TimeSys.

> But every time I hear somebody trying to discourage a volunteer because their
> work makes life difficult for people trying to get paid for the same sort of
> work, I _automatically_ discount that argument.

That is utter crap. So tell me something, you know the internal TimeSys
build system, right? I remember it. You know how you have checked in
changes that broke all the builds? Now, how about you let me do that
every single day and after I do it in the morning on each day, I take
the rest of the day off. That is how it felt to have someone volunteer
and recklessly check in huge changes without properly testing things and
then I have to wait half a day or so to tell them to fix things, or I
waste my time fixing them. Take the rest of the argument to /dev/null.

-Steve