PowerPC snapshot compilation failures

Glauber de Oliveira Costa glommer at br.ibm.com
Sat Sep 24 03:44:31 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I just tried to compile today's snapshot in a IBM pSeries box, and it
was unsuccessfull. Bellow, there is a summary of the errors with some
comments

- vfork.S fails to compile. If the line #include <error.h> is wipped out
from libc/sysdeps/linux/powerpc/bits/syscalls.h, everything seems to
flow okay. As the intel file does not include this file, I'm assuming
that it should not be there anyway.

- linuxthreads compilation fails. It goes okay if I comment out the
following definitions from libc/sysdeps/linux/powerpc/sys/procfs.h :

	* ELF_NVRREG
	* elf_greg_t
	* elf_gregset_t
	* elf_fpreg_t
	* elf_fpregset_t
	* elf_vrreg_t
	* elf_vrregset_t

It seems that the ppc kernel defines them in its own way at
include/asm/elf.h

Though it does seems easy #ifdef placement problems, you guys surely
know where to place them better than I do.

Please, note that it is my first contact to uclibc, so I'm sorry if
I'm saying stupid things at all :-)

BTW, compilation does not suceed at all, receiving an error message when
compiling shared libraries, but I'm done for today. Just in case it helps
somebody, I'm also posting the error message:

ld  -shared --warn-common --warn-once -z combreloc -z defs -s -soname=libdl.so.0 \
-o libdl-0.9.28.so -fini dl_cleanup --whole-archive libdl_pic.a \
--no-whole-archive ../..//libc/misc/internals/interp.o \
-L../..//lib -lc  ../../lib/ld-uClibc.so.0 /usr/lib/gcc-lib/powerpc-suse-linux/3.3.3/libgcc.a;
ld: Error: The symbol `__syscall_error' has a R_PPC_REL24 relocation, that means '../..//lib/libc.a(brk.o)' was
compiled without -fPIC.