uclibc supports cross-compiling ncurses?

Juan Lablanca juan.lablanca at yacoub.de
Mon Sep 19 10:22:37 UTC 2005

Hi there,

I am trying to cross compile ncurses for an arm-processor with uClinux ("uClinux-dist-20040408.tar.gz" with the patch "uClinux-dist-20040408-str710-patch.tar.gz"). The compiler used is arm-elf-tools-20030314 whose version is 2.95.3.
Configuring the kernel of uClinux, I selected the following settings:

Vendor: ST
ST products: STR710
Kernel Version: Linux-2.4.x
Libc: uClibc

Besides i included the "libZ" and "ncurses" libraries (under "Customize Vendor/User
Settings") and "System V IPC" (under "Customize Kernel settings/General setup"). In order to compile my ncurses-application (which compiles and runs properly in my computer) indepenently of the uClinux image, I followed the steps described in the application note "Getting Started with uClinux for STR710" (that can be found under http://mcu.st.com/mcu/modules.php?name=mcu&file=familiesdocs&FAM=86 referenced as AN2119) section 5.2.

After running menuconfig, i did as follow:

make dep
make lib_only
make user_only

In the last make i got an error: "cannot find -lncurses". The problem is that the four libraries that my application uses from ncurses ( -lform -lmenu -lpanel -lncurses ) are not found. The ncurses directory is installed under glibc and apparently ncurses-5.2 (the version installed in the uClinux distribution) compiles with uClibc directory. What's more, the .a libraries are not created under ncurses/lib, so it seems that ncurses is installed in not a proper directory on the uClinux distribution. So i was wondering whether uclib supports ncurses and if yes how could i get rid of that problem explained above?

I would really appreciate some kind of help, thank you very much.

Juanfran.