genext2fs problem ?

yahoo_groups at rovoreed.com yahoo_groups at rovoreed.com
Wed Sep 14 18:45:08 UTC 2005

On 11 Sep 2005 at 17:10, yahoo_groups at rovoreed.com wrote:

> Not sure I know what is going on here, but I'm getting differences between my  buildroot file
> system and the file system when running on the target system.

I've not had much more time to look at this but it seems that the file
created by genext2fs is corrupt, and it appears to be some sort of
interaction with fakeroot that is causing the problem. This
observation is based on using 'dumpfs' to inspect the contents of
the created filesystem.

If I use genext2fs on it's own, the file created is OK - i.e not corrupt,
but there's some sort of problem booting it. the boot finishes like
this ...

Freeing initrd memoery: 1068k freed
VFS: mount root (ext2 filesystem) readonly.
Freeing unused kernel memoery: 76k freed
Warning: unable to open initial console

and it just seems to die.

I don't really understand why no-one else has this problem. I've got
5280 blocks and 896 inodes.

I don't want to get bogged down in trying to understand/debug this
buildroot stuff, so it looks like I'm going to have to stop using it.

Mike