Make menuconfig - Debian - ncurses problem

David Smoot davidsmoot at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 13:40:52 UTC 2005

Sorry for a newbie question but I've exhausted my knowledge so it is
time to ask for more.  I'm running debian 3.1.  Make menuconfig for
busybox and buildroot fail with the following message:

make -C scripts/config ncurses conf mconf
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/dsmoot/busybox/scripts/config'
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lncurses
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

>> Unable to find the Ncurses libraries.
>>
>> You must have Ncurses installed in order
>> to use 'make menuconfig'

make[1]: *** [ncurses] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/dsmoot/busybox/scripts/config'
make: *** [scripts/config/mconf] Error 2

So I ran aptitude as root and I checked that I have all the ncurses
packages installed.  I even installed the package ncurses-hexeditor to
be sure that other packages can use ncurses correctly.

Any suggestions about what I might be doing wrong?