libpthread status

Rob uclibc at paypc.com
Tue Nov 29 13:29:09 UTC 2005

> BTW apologies for the legalese signature, I have no control over it. If
> it really offends people that much let me know and I'll create a gmail
> account.

I am not speaking for any maintainer of the uclibc list, but it's more likely
a matter of putting junk into each email that's in turn exploded to hundreds
or thousands of end users combined with the contradictory legal claims made
within the disclaimer itself.  It's declaring the communication to be
privileged, yet this list is public, and invariably is archived in a form that
is easily searched by engines by anyone-at-large.  The scope of your
redistributed email cannot be constrained by the uclibc maintainers, and so
any "breach" of non-confidentiality lay with the originator of the email in
knowingly sending emails to a public list, namely yourself.

I highly doubt there's a country in the world that would take any such
"breach" of confidentiality seriously and allow IMGTEC to actually sue the
maintainers of this list, but the intelligence of legal practitioners is
marginal enough to make this non-zero.

As a matter of general principle, I recommend you do have your own email setup
for public discussions of this sort in general where you are not acting as an
official representative or officer of your employer, but hey, I realise what
unsolicited advice is worth.

Just some constructive words,
=R=