[patch] Bugs in install_headers

Paul Brook paul at codesourcery.com
Thu Nov 24 13:27:54 UTC 2005

On Thursday 24 November 2005 06:45, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 10:50:40PM +0000, Paul Brook wrote:
> > Firstly it wasn't including $(PREFIX) when figuring out if the kernel
> > headers are in already in the the right place.
>
> err, what ?  PREFIX is like DESTDIR ... it's a temp install location,
> not a 'normal' path ...

That doesn't matter. The important bit is whether the location of the kernel
headers is the same as the location we're installing to.

include/linux is a symlink to $(KERNEL_SOURCE)/linux

If this is that same as $(PREFIX)$(DEVEL_PREFIX)/include/linux we end up
copying a file to itself. This is a bad idea(tm), and makes tar spew errors
like:
tar: include/asm/unistd.h: file changed as we read it

> > Secondly the additional --exclude options to tar should come before the
> > file list (ie. "include").
>
> dont see why it matters ...

Because, like many utilities, tar only parses options that occur before the
file non-option argument.  Without the patch I get:
tar: --exclude: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
and it ignores the option.

I'm using GNU Make 3.80 from Debian unstable.

Paul