Some newbie questions about buildroot.

Michael Erickson mikee at logicpd.com
Fri Nov 4 23:10:41 UTC 2005

Hello all,

I have a couple of questions that I didn't find the answers to anywhere.

--------
1) Removing toolchain_build_ARCH directory.

This directory is large. Is there a way to remove it and then not have
to rebuild it every time I make a new file system? Basically, I have
built a tool chain and root file system. The tool chain is installed in
build_ARCH/staging_dir as per the default setting. Now, I just want to
select new packages to download, build, and install in the root file
system. However, if I remove toolchain_build_ARCH, buildroot forces me
to download and rebuild the entire cross tool chain. Is there a shortcut
that I should be doing, or something I need to tell buildroot so that it
checks build_ARCH/staging_dir for a valid tool chain?

--------
2) Using build_ARCH/root as an NFS root file system.

I have been doing the following:

cp -r build_ARCH/root/* /usr/local/nfs-export/

This copies the entire directory out to a spot where my device can find
and mount it via NFS. I have found that I need to execute that command
with root privileges or else I can't log in to the device as root. Also,
I have to go into the /usr/local/nfs-export/dev/ directory as root and
use 'mknod' by hand to set up console, ttyS0, etc.

Is there an automated way to do this?

--------
3) Is building microwindows supposed to work?

I know that sounds like a daft question to ask, but I thought perhaps I
missed something. Maybe there is a dependency that I missed in the
documentation or something. I filed a bug in the buildroot bug tracker
concerning this.

Thanks for any help and for putting out such a great tool.

Best regards,
     --mike

--
Michael Erickson