[uClibc] Kernel panic: No init found.

Ted Schroeder ted at schroeder.net
Fri May 13 05:01:59 UTC 2005

I have just built a compiler and uclibc combination for a AMD Alchemy
system that FreeHand Systems developed. It's mipsel architecture. The
kernel is 2.4.20 with a few minor changes. This is a cross-compiler.
When I compile and link everything together it all seems fine. The
kernel boots, but when it gets ready to start busybox I get the above
message.

I really don't have much more information than this, unfortunately. I've
tried running code that was compiled statically and it runs fine on the
system. If I try to run any executables that are linked with a shared
library I get an error message saying "file not found." I even tried to
run the ld-uClibc loader and this seg faults. I did a little debugging
on this and found that it segfaults in _dl_boot2() after it can't find
the elf header (this is supposed to follow the Auxiliary Vector Table,
which looks ok to my uneducated eye. The segfault is actually in the
call to SEND_STDERR().

I thought I might not have built the root file system correctly, so I
took the pre-built root file system for mipsel, pruned out a bunch of
stuff so things would fit and I get the same error. I'm sure I'm doing
something wrong in configuration, but I can't figure it out to save my
life.

I saw one other instance in the mailing list archives from back around
2001 which said that the problem was related to not setting the
SHARED_LIB_LOADER_PATH define, but I can't even find this anywhere in
buildroot any more, so I think this might be a red herring.

At any rate, any hints that anybody might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ted Schroeder
FreeHand Systems, Inc.