[uClibc] buildroot gcc-4 proposed changes

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Wed May 11 22:05:51 UTC 2005

Erik Andersen wrote:
> On Wed May 11, 2005 at 09:15:28AM -0700, Dan Kegel wrote:
>
>>Hi Manuel, you might check with the author of diet libc, who is
>>doing something similar licensewise.  I think he's using the
>>GPL for the library, and keeping full copyright so he can also
>>sell proprietary licenses.  This might be a very good model for
>>you,
>
> That is the theory anyway.  In practice felix has used code from
> existing GPLd projects without any written assignment of
> copyright and has accepted code and bug fixes from many people.
> Thus, imho he is not in a position to be selling anything as he
> is not an exclusive copyright holder...

OK then, do as he says, not as he does :-)
Perhaps he needs a little visit from the gpl-violations.org fairy.
mjn3 would of course be well-advised not to make the same mistakes.

> Troll tech on the other hand have been very very careful over the
> years using exactly this business model and carefully avoiding
> any chance of eroding their copyright ownership of qt, and have
> used the business model very effectively.  I don't think mjn3
> plans on growing a business, but regardless, it should provide a
> means for him to actually contribute to hospice, since doing work
> and politely requesting donations has proven ineffective.

Got it.  That doesn't change my suggestion; I still think the GPL
as the temporary license is a good way to go to meet mjn3's goals
while still e.g. allowing the library to be shipped with Debian.
- Dan