[uClibc] Problem with binutils

Allan Clark allanc at chickenandporn.com
Tue May 10 05:31:51 UTC 2005

Mike Frysinger wrote:

>On Monday 09 May 2005 10:30 pm, Rob Landley wrote:
>

>>On Monday 09 May 2005 02:58 pm, Bambero wrote:
>>

>>>Hello
>>>
>>>I'm going to make my own lightweight system.
>>>I have build some packages using gentoo-uclibc and everything works fine.
>>>
>>>But when I chroot in my new system and try compile ex. 'sed' there is a
>>>problem with ar (binutils):
>>>

>>http://www.landley.net/code/firmware/notes.html
>>
>>See the entry for February 26.
>>

>nice, thanks for the reference
>-mike

H'lo Rob, Mike;

I first saw Bambero's email, saw "Gentoo", and immediately asked what
the Gentoo guys thought of it... my mistake, Bambero explained how it's
a gentoo host, but not a gentoo issue.

The conversation ran away from me, so I wanted to see if I understand
you both.

First, you're ignoring this error, since it's just a warning?

> `-mcpu=' is deprecated. Use `-mtune=' or '-march=' instead.

 -- a ./configure issue, but it still builds object, right?

Second, from your blog entry for 2005-02-26 (dumb me, I read the 02-27
entry and was still confused) the issue is here:

> ar cru libsed.a getopt1.o getopt.o utils.o strverscmp.o regex.o
> ar: libsed.a: No such file or directory
> make[2]: *** [libsed.a] Error 1

The ar command is failing because it cannot find a /dev/random or
/dev/urandom.  The final suggestion to Bambero is therefore either:

1) Create/chmod/make-accessible /dev/(u)random
2) user a newer binutils, perhaps one not maintained by FSF

I don't mean to be the lame WWE announcer who basically describes
everything for the "slower" and "more challenged" of the viewing
audience, but wanted to make sure I had the story straight.  Thanks.
Poke/correct/slap/heckle me as appropriate,

Allan