[uClibc] Binutils 2.15.94.0.2 strip not working

JP jaypee at hotpop.com
Fri May 6 10:08:42 UTC 2005

Hi all,
I've been using uclibc for almost 3 years, and this is my first post to
this list. Just shows how problem free this product is. Thanks to
everyone involved.

Just recently however I've encountered a small problem.

In our build we were inadvertently using an old version of
mips-linux-strip (2.11.90). This worked fine and when a hello.c was
compiled and stripped it comes out at around 5kb.

However on updating our build to use the mips-uclibc-linux-strip built
as part of our uclibc-buildroot toolchain
(binutils 2.15.94.0.2 20041220)
the size of the same output was 70k. The strip made very little
difference to the size of the output.

The old strip still produces usable 5kb executables with the new
toolchain

If required I will attach the relevant files. Just wondering whether
this is the right place to report this and if anyone else has seen this
issue?

Thanks, and keep up the fantastic work
JP