[uClibc] newbie questions

Gustavo Guillermo Pérez gustavo at compunauta.com
Tue May 3 16:42:27 UTC 2005

El Martes, 3 de Mayo de 2005 02:34, Gilles Erwan escribió:
> Hei,
> I have some quite simple questions:
> -Do the uclibc librairies have the same names as the glibc 's ones? If yes,
> I don't understand why a program compiled with glibc should be recompiled
> to run with uclibc. (I understand it only if the librairies are non
> shared).

If that can be doed why you'll need uClibc? some symbols and function names
are checked by "configure scripts" every time you build from sources a
package, then if this script detect less features, this features are
disabled, and some functions are replaced with internal macros to cover
required functionality. (This is not exactly a true explanation).

Of course one binary builded with uClibc is not compatible with one builded
with glibc.

> -As anyone tried to run a JVM on a system with uclibc?

Yes, kaffe is a JVM that uses jikes to build you can build kaffe on uClibc and
is a lot faster than Sun's JVM.

My patch and a quickstart:

http://www.compunauta.com/forums/linux/instalarlinux/kaffe_uclibc_en.html

Cheers.