[uClibc] zlib and zlib-headers (buildroot)

Vladimir Bychkovsky vladimir.bychkovsky at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 14:44:01 UTC 2005

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 07:44:26 +0100, Thomas Lundquist <lists at zelow.no> wrote:
> I can't see much of a reason for not copying them to target in the
> standard make zlib.

Not copying the headers saves some space on the target device.

If I understand correctly, zlib is compiled as a static library so all
the linking can happened during the cross-compilation on the build
system. So, you only need headers and the library on the device to
have a development environment on the target itself. However, if you
want to do development on the device, you might want to consider
large, yet very configurable distribution like Gentoo.

On another note, I think it is sometimes a little unclear from the
Buildroot configuration menu which packages populate staging directory
and which go onto the target device. Would be nice to have a little
note like "(stage)" next to the package. Adding another option for
(target) installation would also increase control. I wonder what
Buildroot gurus think about it.

HTH,
Vlad.