[uClibc] [RFC] RUNPATH config option for ld.so

Ivan Popov pin at medic.chalmers.se
Sun Jun 26 09:19:40 UTC 2005

On Sat, Jun 25, 2005 at 11:53:30PM +0200, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> > No-rpath option will make my life easier as well, as an additional protection
> > against occational -rpath at compilation.
>
> As you know I have started this work, but a few bits are still missing.
> Whats ldso options, besides --library-path, do you need for your work?

In fact, it is the only - though vital - option of glibc runtime loader
I am using (except of course what their ldd script does implicitely,
it uses --verify and several environment variables).

I have also tweaked the Linux glibc runtime loader to let it accept elf files
branded as ELFOSABI_LINUX, besides the default ELFOSABI_SYSV - my also
slightly tweaked binutils produce ELFOSABI_LINUX files to make them runnable
under FreeBSD's LinuxABI. [would you expect, the usual Linux glibc loader
rejects Linux-branded objects!.. :-]

The result is that the results of compilations behave very consistently
(are runnable with both implicit and explicit loader, and statically linked
files are runnable as well) on both Linux and *BSD - though the binaries
and libraries can not be directly copied to "traditional" Linux.

E.g. trying to give a Konvalo ncurses library to /bin/bash with its
implicit /lib/ld-linux.so.2 loader results in
  /bin/bash: error while loading shared libraries: /coda/konvalo.org/sw/pm/1/TOP/n/ncurses/V/5.4/L/1/TOP/lib/libncurses.so.5: ELF file OS ABI invalid

Not my fault! :)

Thanks Joakim!
--
Ivan