[uClibc] TZ environment values for glibc timezones

Mike Primm mike at netbotz.com
Wed Jun 15 15:29:39 UTC 2005

I'm in the process of  converting an existing embedded application from
being glibc-based to uclibc-based, and was hoping for some help with
dealing with the mapping of the TZ environment variable.  Specifically,
I fully understand the encoding difference (i.e. using the POSIX based
encloding rule in the TZ variable for daylight savings time encoding and
the like), but what I don't particularly look forward to is the
laborious and error prone process of producing the mapping from a couple
hundred file-name based timezone idenfitiers (i.e. America/Chicago,
Asia/Tehran, etc, etc) to the correct POSIX TZ encoding.  Has anyone
using uclibc already done this mapping, produced a tool to crawl the
glibc zoneinfo and generate this mapping, or any other solution?

I've done some searching on the archives and the web in general, but
haven't found an anwer to this, so I hope someone here can help.

--Mike Primm
NetBotz, Inc