[uClibc] buildroot fails to build the cross-toolchain

Charles Palmer charles.palmer at acutetechnology.com
Mon Jun 13 20:11:09 UTC 2005

Team:

For the record, I (apparently) built buildroot for mipsel on both Fedora
Core 3 and RH9, but then none of the programs I built with the resulting
tools would run on my target. I gave up.

I note that Jose Rubio wrote "I noticed that the buildroot does not check
all dependencies", and I do recall being a bit concerned about the buildroot
not checking whether the right tools etc were installed before trying to run
them - I got some ambiguous messages about wrong versions of autoconf...

Perhaps Erik could modify his sophisticated make process to add checks for
necessary host tools and halting if they are not present - and even getting
each newly-built cross-tool to run a simple test suite after it is built. I
know that may be a bunch of work, but maybe very worthwhile considering
there are so many combinations of host and target configurations, and
toolchain versions.

Another (easier) suggestion: why not provide sets of pre-built cross-tools
etc. Presumably this could be automated. This would be useful for:
(a) giving builtroot users something to compare with their own results, and
(b) providing users quick access to the cross-tools themselves - after all,
that is all that many people are looking for when they come to the uclibc
site.

Regards - Charles