[uClibc] buildroot fails to build the cross-toolchain

Michael Hunold hunold at linuxtv.org
Wed Jun 8 17:05:28 UTC 2005

Hello all,

I have tried to use buildroot to create a big-endian mips root environment.

I'm using Fedora Core 2 and started with the most simple configuration, with
no additional packages.

Unfortunately, buildroot fails right from the start to build the
cross-toolchain with the following error:

 ---------------------------------schnipp-------------------------------
make[2]: Entering directory
`/mnt/mhu/buildroot/buildroot/toolchain_build_mips/gcc-3.4.2-initial/gcc'
/mnt/mhu/buildroot/buildroot/toolchain_build_mips/gcc-3.4.2-initial/gcc/xgcc
 -B/mnt/mhu/buildroot/buildroot/toolchain_build_mips/gcc-3.4.2-initial/gcc/
 -B/mnt/mhu/buildroot/buildroot/build_mips/staging_dir/mips-linux-uclibc/bin/
 -B/mnt/mhu/buildroot/buildroot/build_mips/staging_dir/mips-linux-uclibc/lib/
 -isystem
/mnt/mhu/buildroot/buildroot/build_mips/staging_dir/mips-linux-uclibc/includ
e -isystem
/mnt/mhu/buildroot/buildroot/build_mips/staging_dir/mips-linux-uclibc/sys-in
clude -O2 -DIN_GCC -DCROSS_COMPILE  -DUSE_UCLIBC -W -Wall -Wwrite-strings
 -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wold-style-definition  -isystem
./include  -I. -I.
 -I/mnt/mhu/buildroot/buildroot/toolchain_build_mips/gcc-3.4.2/gcc
 -I/mnt/mhu/buildroot/buildroot/toolchain_build_mips/gcc-3.4.2/gcc/.
 -I/mnt/mhu/buildroot/buildroot/toolchain_build_mips/gcc-3.4.2/gcc/../include
 -g0 -finhibit-size-directive -fno-inline-functions -fno-exceptions
 -fno-zero-initialized-in-bss -fno-unit-at-a-time  \
  -c
/mnt/mhu/buildroot/buildroot/toolchain_build_mips/gcc-3.4.2/gcc/crtstuff.c
 -DCRT_BEGIN \
 -o crtbegin.o
as: unrecognized option `-EB'
make[2]: *** [crtbegin.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/mnt/mhu/buildroot/buildroot/toolchain_build_mips/gcc-3.4.2-initial/gcc'
archives, but I did not find a solution.

I suspect that "-EB" stands for big endian and (just a wild guess) that my
local Fedora Core 2 x86 toolchain does not support big endian in any way.

In my desparation, I used my plain Debian sarge Linux machine at home and
indeed buildroot *succeeds* in building the whole filesystem.

On the one hand this is fine (I have a working environment), but on the
other hand I need buildroot to work with Fedora Core on my machine at work.

I would appreciate any help on this topic, perhaps somebody knows the
background of this problem.

But please don't tell me: Then use Debian. Unfortunately this is not an
option. ;-)

Thanks and best egards
Michael Hunold.