[uClibc] Advice: Porting uClibc to non-Linux system

Warren Toomey wkt at tuhs.org
Mon Jul 4 12:56:13 UTC 2005

All, I am considering starting the process of bringing up uClibc on a
non-Linux platform, and I would like to ask for some guidance before I
get started. This may be a long e-mail, so please stop reading now if
you are not interested.

I am working on the FMIOS system, see http://wiki.ocgnet.org:8080/FMIOS/.
This is a non-POSIX non-Linux u-kernel system, but with a POSIX emulation
library which is good enough to support gcc 2.7.2, vim, and such. The
system was a.out-based, but I have just done the work to support statically
linked ELF binaries. There is no dynamically-loaded library support yet.

At the moment, I am compiling and linking the ELF binaries for the system
on FreeBSD 5.4, using -stdinc and -stdlib. I haven't tried to build a ELF
gcc + ld toolchain yet to replace the aging a.out-based gcc 2.7.2.

Do you think it would be better to bring up an ELF gcc + ld toolchain on
the existing system, and then build uClibc natively, or should I start
building uClibc now using the FreeBSD tools, and once that's done move on
to rebuilding gcc?

Eventually, I'm going to have to compile & build uClibc on a system which
is not Linux and has its own libc. I'm assuming that I'm going to have to
do this manually and in stages. What advice can you give me on the approach
I should take here?

Many thanks in advance for any advice and suggestions!

Cheers,
        Warren Toomey