[uClibc] Buildroot package placement policy/style question...

Erik Andersen andersen at codepoet.org
Wed Jan 19 00:07:03 UTC 2005

On Tue Jan 18, 2005 at 12:14:02PM -0700, George Joseph wrote:
> How should packages that are run on both the build host and target host be
> handled?  I'm thinking about packages like mtd where you need mkfs.jffs2 to
> run on the build host to create a fs, but also want the same set of tools
> compiled to run on the target host.
>
> Right now, cramfs, genext2fs, mtd and squashfs all get built in the
> build_(armeb in my case)  directory even though they're compiled to run on
> the local host.  Maybe they should be moved to toolchain/toolchain_build?
> This way you could have versions compiled for the target in build_ where
> they belong without conflicting with the versions needed for the build
> process.

Some packages, such as sed, are built for both the host and
the target.  Such packages live under buildroot/package/
as you propose.

I didn't place genext2fs and friends under package since they
seem to be entirely for the host system, and I did not anticipate
a time when thy might be needed on the target.

I admit this is somewhat of a weak area in my design for
buildroot, but I couldn't think of anything much better,