[uClibc] dropbear config

Rich Ireland rich.ireland at idahotech.com
Thu Feb 17 19:45:16 UTC 2005

Carl Miller wrote:

> /etc/shadow should be permissions 0600.  The whole reason /etc/shadow
> was separated out from /etc/passwd in the first place was so that the
> password file could be split into "passwords readable only by root"
> and "everything else readable by everyone".
>
> I've not worked with DropBear, but it's conceivable that if it's
> security-paranoid enough, it might reject a world-readable /etc/shadow.

chmod etc/shadow to 0600 doesn't make a difference.

> Do you have an /etc/shells?  Is /bin/sh listed in /etc/shells?
> (Just another random guess)

I didn't (uclibc buildroot doesn't make one by default), but adding one
didn't make a difference.

The only thing that I can think of that is causing this is that I have a
2.6.10 kernel and the uClibc buildroot was run with 2.6.9 headers.

I'm re-building everything with 2.6.10 headers to see if this is it.

--
Rich Ireland
Firmware Engineer - Perforce Advocate
mailto:rich.ireland at idahotech.com