fnmatch/regex in uClibc

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Fri Dec 23 14:16:17 UTC 2005

On Thu, Dec 22, 2005 at 08:19:04PM -0800, Rob wrote:
> Quoting Mike Frysinger <vapier at gentoo.org>:
>
> > i would make fnmatch a suboption of new regex and not bother with old
> > regex ... so people can have:
> > new regex w/out fnmatch
> > new regex w/fnmatch
> > old regex w/out fnmatch
>
> Geez...  what a mess.

not really

> I don't suppose it's possible to fix or bridge whatever
> is problematic between the old + new regex libraries (I imagine for
> longer-term maintenance, harmonising things with the new would be better if
> possible)

there's nothing to bridge ... the only thing we would do is remove the
'old regex' option completely

'new' and 'old' refer to implementations ... the 'old' version is regex
taken from glibc-2.2.x and older ... people realized this version was
written very ugly and was unmaintainable (drepper described it as
much), so with glibc-2.3.x and beyond, they just rewrote the whole damn
thing so that it didnt suck with multibyte and such
-mike