Question on the current behaviour of malloc () on uClinux

Jie Zhang jzhang918 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 10:01:04 UTC 2005

On 12/22/05, Mike Frysinger <vapier at gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 22, 2005 at 07:28:04AM +1000, David McCullough wrote:
> > Thats life on MMUless systems IMO.
>
> short answer: install more RAM ? :)

Install more RAM cannot avoid such issue.

In the linux-kernel mailing list, people (Arjan, Jesper, and Dick)
pointed out that this is because of default overcommit policy. Setting
2 to /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory should solve this issue. I tried
it on my notebook, it works. The small test quits nicely. But on
uClinux, the process still got killed. I'm going to take a further
look.

Thanks,
Jie