locale support

Peter S. Mazinger ps.m at gmx.net
Mon Dec 19 07:43:31 UTC 2005

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:

> Does anybody compile with locale support enabled?
>
> :
> :
> make locale_headers
> make[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/build-temp-vax-linux/src/uclibc'
> gcc extra/locale/gen_wc8bit.c  -o extra/locale/gen_wc8bit    -O2 -Wall  -D__UCLIBC_GEN_LOCALE -DCTYPE_PACKED=1 -DDO_WIDE_CHAR=1
> extra/locale/gen_wc8bit.c:16:31: error: bits/uClibc_ctype.h: No such file or directory
> MfG, JBG

it seems that you haven't run make headers earlier in topdir, else that
file would be in place

> :
> :
>
> There's a uClibc_ctype.h in ./libc/sysdeps/linux/common/, but that
> requires additional headers.

Earlier this was not even possible to do, you had to go manually into
extra/locale and make manual adaptions. I started to integrate it w/ the
whole build system, but due to faulty headers handling that we have to
keep .28 compatible so we do not break buildroot there is no good solution
to it currently to have proper dependencies (specifically running make
install_dev ran by buildroot the first time is incorrect, because it wants
to install only the headers, not having yet any development libs. I have
created for this install_headers, that does not exist in .28, so correct
header dependencies can't be done correctly until we need to support .28.

I can build locales w/:
cp .config to my topdir
make oldconfig
make headers