gcc version for kernel compilation

Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw at lug-owl.de
Fri Dec 16 06:02:30 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-15 20:24:47 +0200, Ori Idan <ori at helicontech.co.il> wrote:
> I want to build the linux kernel using arm cross compiler compiled from
> buildroot.
>
> What version of gcc should I choose?
>
> I recall that the kernel recommends 2.95.x should I really use that old
> compiler on kernel 2.6.11?

Some days ago, 2.95.x was somewhat abondoned, so new features _only_
supported by newer GCC versions are okay to use right now, without
checking.

So you'd expect by now that compiling with 2.95 may be broken...

For VAX, I'm successfully using 4.2 (HEAD).

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw       jbglaw at lug-owl.de    . +49-172-7608481             _ O _
"Eine Freie Meinung in  einem Freien Kopf    | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg  _ _ O