uClibc++ version 0.1.12 released

Peter S. Mazinger ps.m at gmx.net
Mon Dec 12 11:50:36 UTC 2005

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005, Rob Landley wrote:

> On Sunday 11 December 2005 04:34, Peter S. Mazinger wrote:
> > I don't see a good reason to split it, the lib is small enough already, My
> > tests show that the apps won't get much smaller by the small lib as in
> > case of uClibc (an  "incorrect" comparison: firefox 41 MB glibc+libstdc++,
> > 39 MB uClibc+uClibc++) and there are not so many small C++ apps around,
> > rather bigger projects where the size of this lib won't matter
>
> C++ is a language that encourages bloat.  (Template instantiation and
> exception handling are both _designed_ to block copy trivial variations of
> the same code over and over into the resulting binary.)
>
> That said, it is possible to produce semi-sane binaries with C++ if you pay
> attention to size.  I did it, years ago, back when I still thought C++ was a
> good idea.  (That would be about 1992-1995.)

[...]
> So the question to ask is, if somebody wants to write C++ apps for use in the
> embedded space, and is paying attention to size when they write the app, is
> there anything we can do to help?  (Having first ruled out psychiatric care
> or liberal application of holy water to their computer's power supply.  I
> suppose that's depending on your definition of the word "help", really...)

I do not quite understand what you want to tell (english not being my
mother language), but probably I am one of the few who uses libuClibc++
system-wide (nothing is linked against libstdc++) and I did most of the
testing to get the whole kde build. If you don't think that is "help"
provided to get uClibc++ usable ...

Where I see "potential" to change/make libuClibc++ better is to use own
implementations of the gcc provided stuff in libsupc++.a/libgcc_eh.a that
is currently imported (depending on a config option) into the shared lib.

Peter