chroot'd toolchain & gnu libc issue? (was Re: Proper use of libtool under buildroot?)

Marcus Crafter crafterm at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 09:35:51 UTC 2005

On 12/12/2005, at 10:27 AM, Peter S. Mazinger wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Dec 2005, Marcus Crafter wrote:
>> In the buildroot 'make menuconfig' options I selected '[*] native
>> toolchain in the target filesystem' (the help for this option says
>> 'If you want the target system to be able to run binutils/gcc and
>> compile native code, say Y here'), and that's how I checked the gcc/
>> ld, etc that was in my root build area and saw the behaviour below.
>>
>> I thought from the description above that this particular package
>> option would build a native gcc/ld for the root area which I could
>> use to chroot into and build further applications - I haven't checked
>> the makefiles just yet but perhaps it simply copies the cross
>> compilation tool chain in to the root area rather than buliding a
>> fresh one (?). Not sure.
>>
>> Is this what you mean by creating a minimal dev environment for the
>> target? Or am I still a bit confused and should be looking to do this
>> another way? ie. manually?
>>
>> Hope to hear from you soon.
>
> something is really wrong then, those files shouldn't depend on
> host libc
>
> try to use readelf -d instead of ldd

Ok, tried that, unfortunately readelf is also linked against the host
libc from the looks of it:

bellagio[/home/crafterm/workspace/new/buildroot/build_i386]:12>sudo
chroot root
bellagio[/]:1>/usr/bin/readelf -d /usr/bin/gcc
bash: /usr/bin/readelf: No such file or directory
bellagio[/]:2>ldd /usr/bin/readelf
         libc.so.6 => not found (0x00000000)
bellagio[/]:3>

> they should

Ok. I'm looking into the Makefiles, toolchain/gcc/gcc-uclibc-3.x.mk
defines a target

GCC_BUILD_DIR3:=$(BUILD_DIR)/gcc-$(GCC_VERSION)-target

which seems like it should be building the 'target' GCC, etc. Still
digging to see what's going on, at least I know now that it should
work :)

Any thing else I might be able to check?

Thanks for your help mate.

Cheers,

Marcus