RFC: strong_alias versus weak_alias

Peter S. Mazinger ps.m at gmx.net
Mon Dec 12 08:03:53 UTC 2005

Hello!

Until now I was sure that using strong_alias(__X,X) is correct
everywhere, because we do not have overlapping objects, we build from each
function only one version.
Is it true, that having only X() in libc it is possible that an app can
overwrite X(), but having __X() in libc and a strong_alias(__X,X) does not allow it?
If true, then which are the functions we should allow to be overwritable
and which not?
The problem does not come up as it seems in native builds, but in
cross-compiler env. (as libiberty.a w/ strncmp) it may happen.
How do we proceed?

Peter