Building with Uclibc

Peter S. Mazinger ps.m at gmx.net
Sun Dec 4 20:37:43 UTC 2005

On Sat, 3 Dec 2005, John Kelly wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 06:59:46 -0500, Robert Connolly
> <robert at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
>
> >http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/downloads/files/uclibc.txt
>
> In your note I found the sed patch:

> >is linked to uClibc 0.9.28.

This failure will happen generally w/ all gnu apps if you built uclibc w/
GLIBC_COMPAT_MALLOC enabled and built your apps, then disable the option
and rebuild uclibc. There is no real life solution for it, the gnulib ppl
consider the glibc malloc implementation as ok. Although it is not quite
correct, current apps go the glibc way so best you can do is keep that
compat option enabled

Peter

> I had this problem and assumed my toolchain was somehow broken.  I'm
> rebuilding now with the patch to see what happens ...
>
> But I'm curious about the patch; if I use buildroot to create a target
> system, sed seems to operate without the patch.  Any idea why?

gnulib devs decided that if malloc is not compat, then also regex has to
be used from gnulib (regex bacame a requirement for the malloc module)
(regex is what fails in sed, and will in many gnu apps)

Peter