Building with Uclibc

Rory Vieira rory.vieira at coolview.nl
Thu Dec 1 10:42:06 UTC 2005

Guys,

> >>You can configure buildroot to only build gcc, uclibc and
> not all the
> >>user-space applications. Then, just use that toolchain to compile
> >>whatever you want - that's what we do.
Well, this is what I have been doing so far. Which is great and all...
but...
I want to know (eg learn) what makes it 'tick'...

> True, but Like Rob, I have reasons to prefer my own build
> framework for producing the same result.  Mine is much easier
> to customize than the tangled mess of makefiles in buildroot.
For this reason alone I have been looking at the Firmware build for a
peek...
It's much easier to understand what is going on...

I think I have got it down now...

 1. Download and compile uClibc...
 2. Download and compile BinUtils (1)
 3. Download and compile gcc for 'cross-compiling'
    Eg a gcc that can target uClibc but is built using glibc
 4. Recompile gcc using the just built gcc compiler...
    Eg a gcc that targets Uclibc and is built using Uclibc...

Now this shouldn't be that hard (right?!?)

Please correct me if I'm wrong here...
Cheers,