[uClibc] uClibc++ RFC: Removal of wchar support

Garrett Kajmowicz gkajmowi at tbaytel.net
Thu Aug 25 17:55:19 UTC 2005

Currently, I'm considering  removing wchar support from uClibc++, and I would
like some feedback on this.

Reasons to do so:
-	wchar support doesn't currently work and behavior is not well defined
(difficult to make work properly)
-	uClibc++ does not support locales, so attempting to use wchar requires
non-standard modification of program anyways
-	Wide character support in console embedded applications doesn't seem to
be a big issue

Reasons not to do so:
-	People may speak something other than English/use charsets other than ASCII
-	Limits the applications which can be compiled

Other Options:
-	Another person can take over developement of wchar code
-	Wchar can be left in semi-functional state in the event somebody wants to
use it

All thoughts appreciated.

-     Garrett