[uClibc] Building NTP

John Bowler jbowler at acm.org
Thu Aug 18 19:59:48 UTC 2005

From: Ralph Siemsen
>> QUESTION:  Is it possible to build NTP to use uClibc?  If so, what am I
>> missing?

I have no problems...

>Not cleanly... the build process used by NTP really does not lend itself
>to being cross-compiled.  I noticed this a while back and just put it
>aside.  I am hoping that http://www.openntpd.org/ will solve these
>problems, but I haven't had time to try it out...

ntp 4.2.0 cross-compiles fine with one patch - comment out 'maybe-layout'
from the BUILD_SOURCES line in whatever Makefile.am it appears in (and do
the full autoreconf thing).

The OpenEmbedded build system cross compiles both the ntp.isc.org NTP
versions and openntp, and both of these work fine with uClibc 0.9.27
openntp is much smaller at run time, but you may need some of the stuff (in
particular tickadj) from the ISC NTP.

John Bowler <jbowler at acm.org>