[uClibc] Buildroot & QT

Allan Clark allanc at chickenandporn.com
Wed Aug 17 02:20:51 UTC 2005

Patrick Noffke wrote:

>I've done a cross build of Qt/E-3.3.3 using my buildroot toolchain, but not from within the buildroot system (yet, anyway).  You need to extract the tarball from within QTDIR/mkspecs/qws, and configure Qt/E to your liking, but specify the -embedded br option.  My configure flags are listed in Readme.txt within the tarball.
>
>I also use the attached script to run KDevelop, which nicely sets up my environment variables (QTDIR, QMAKESPEC, and PATH).  I then create a qmake project within KDevelop, and run qmake from within the QMake manager.  This recreates the Makefiles for the Qt/E + buildroot compilation.  For development and testing, just run KDevelop using the Qt/X11 (probably already on your host), and rerun qmake to be able to build and test on your host.
>
>I was unable to use automake & friends from within KDevelop.  Apparently you can specify the --with-qt-dir and --enable-embedded configure flags, but I couldn't get it to work.
>
>I've also gotten Qt/E-3.3.4 to work, but a file within Qt needed to be patched.  It failed to compile -- something was looking for fenv.h.  The fix is at home, but I can send it later if you want.
>
>Regards,
>Patrick

Hi Patrick;

It seems like you have a solution that's great for a GUI development
environment; I'm glad you have it working.  That's fairly cool if it's a
common way to develop (I'm not really a GUI guy, but I should be).
There's also an Opie config of some kind, but I must admit, I was
stubborn and did my own thing, and maybe I should have extended that
other process :(

My objectives are different from yours:
1) non-interactive build
   -- (requires some changes to uClibc looking for a specific platform,
and accepting (NEW) defaults)
   -- good for cronjob nightly builds
   -- test grid: for i in arch arch arch; for j in ver ver ver; echo ...
 > .config && make && report success; done; done
2) duplicates our current build instructions
3) works in buildroot -- I can dump a .config file and just type "make"
   -- the ptxdist build requires two files

I've also got buildroot with DL_DIR working as it would from a specfile
to draw sources from $topdir/SOURCES, but that seems overkill.  For me,
it just reuses the sources I have loaded.  I'm an RPM fan, it's a
sickness, I know.

You and I have different objectives, but it's good that we're both
running with this.  I think I can gain from your changes -- since mine
is building with unmodified Qt/E, I have little you can reap, but I'll
make a patch available later.  I think your "fenv.h" issue is a
configuration in Qt/E that 'm not running across, so I need to look at
this too.

Be aware, too, that my solution uses a slew of source tarballs; here in
China, many embedded developers are using Qt/E-2.3.x, but Qtopia
requires a Qt/E-3.3.x, so it's a long build process iterating a few
tarballs.  When Qt-4 is optimized for size and approaches 2.3.x size,
the build for that will be more useful.

STATUS >> My build is crapping out at linking libqte-mt.so.2.3.10,
there's a problem with png.o, but the Qtopia build that follows is clean
(until it tries to link the -lqte-mt).

DELAY >> I have to speak at a conference
(http://www.linuxworldchina.com/cn_richengbiao.htm) but I'll get back to
it tomorrow.  If you're in Beijing, some see me chooooke! :)

Allan