[uClibc] mkdir -p ?

Dave Dodge dododge at dododge.net
Fri Sep 17 22:17:11 UTC 2004

On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 05:11:06PM -0400, Tristan Van Berkom wrote:
> Amit Kucheria wrote:
> >Is there a reason that the Makefile and linux.mk donot use 'mkdir -p'?
>
> In context with the uClibc build, I have no idea.
>
> I think `mkdir -p' is gnu specific or at least not very portable.

The "-p" flag originally comes from System V, and has been part of the
Unix standard since at least Unix98.

> usualy, `install -d' is preferred.

"install" is not part of the Unix standard and worse yet has been
implemented in incompatible ways by the various Unix vendors.  I seem
to recall having to rewrite Makefiles to fix or remove incompatible
"install" commands on more than one occasion.  I believe "install" is
such a mess that GNU autotools includes its own "install-sh"
script in order to avoid the system's version.

                                                  -Dave Dodge