[uClibc] Re: [OT] Re: The naming wars continue...

Dave Dodge dododge at dododge.net
Thu Oct 28 19:50:01 UTC 2004

On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 09:50:11AM +0300, Denis Vlasenko wrote:
> On Thursday 28 October 2004 02:04, Måns Rullgård wrote:
> > I don't quite see the point in breaking compatibility just for the
> > sake of being different, or whatever their reasons may be.  There is
> > absolutely no technical justification for doing it that way.

This is just one of many changes they've made.  Another is that
there's no user with the name "root", even if uid 0 happens to be in
/etc/passwd.  It's definitely the most unusual Linux distribution I've
ever seen.  There's a LiveCD for anyone who wants to try it.

> Seconded. [/usr]/{lib,bin,include} are perfectly sane
> places to keep symlinks. More, /usr imo must be usable
> in read-only state, it is a logical place to keep
> installed packages, so keeping them in /usr/$some_path/$package
> seems to be UNIX way to me. otoh /Programs smells Windoze. ;)

It's probably closer to MacOS X.

There's a long "I am not clueless" paper describing the system
and their rationale:

  http://www.gobolinux.org/index.php?lang=en_US&page=doc/articles/clueless

My primary home machine has been using Gobo for a few months now, and
I find that some things I install with their packaging/building system
and others I just go ahead and build in /opt myself.  I have my own
much crazier ideas about how I'd like to do things, involving stuff
like per-application union mounts, but I haven't gotten around to
implementing it.

                                                  -Dave Dodge