[uClibc] Re: [OT] Re: The naming wars continue...

Dave Dodge dododge at dododge.net
Wed Oct 27 22:35:46 UTC 2004

On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 11:15:15PM +0200, Måns Rullgård wrote:
> Dave Dodge <dododge at dododge.net> writes:
> > If I recall correctly, in the GoboLinux case
[...]
> > I believe "/bin" is a symlink to the bin directory in the main
> > install prefix, but there are patches so that while "/bin" can be
> > used for lookups it does not appear when you list "/".
>
> If there's one thing I detest, it is such hiding of files.  The GUI in
> MacOSX does such things too, even /tmp is hidden there.

I believe Gobo only has paths such as "/bin" for legacy compatibility
(for example scripts starting with #!/bin/...).  "/dev" is another
case, since that isn't where Gobo puts its devices, but lots of things
are going to assume they can use "/dev/zero" and "/dev/null".

> It's visible from a shell though.

Gobo actually does it in the kernel; whether that's better or worse
depends on your point of view.  There's a command-line tool "GoboHide"
that provides a list of hidden things:

  http://gobolinux.org/index.php?page=doc/articles/gobohide

I think all of the things hidden in a normal GoboLinux desktop are
just legacy symlinks, and the real locations they point to are fully
visible.  Unlike MacOS, where the Finder ignores a lot of real
directories and applications (I've been bitten there by "/tmp"
myself).
                                                  -Dave Dodge