[uClibc] Re: The naming wars continue...

Denis Vlasenko vda at port.imtp.ilyichevsk.odessa.ua
Tue Oct 26 08:55:07 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 26 October 2004 11:37, Erik Andersen wrote:
> On Tue Oct 26, 2004 at 11:19:30AM +0300, Denis Vlasenko wrote:
> > But how would it play together with glibc's /etc/ld.so.conf?
> > There may be a need to have them separated...
>
> There is an option to use a separate name...

It's a non-problem for me, I do not use nonstandard
lib directories at all on my systems. /etc/ld.so.conf is empty.
I just thought about other people who like different setups.

> > I am asking this because I am in a midst of attempt
> > to make it possible to run binaries compiled for uclibc
> > on "normal" (glibc) system.
> >
> > So far, I am wrestling with stuffing all uclibc libs
> > into separate [/usr]/libu, because I see no way
> > for uclibc-compiled glib to peacefully coexist with
> > glibc-compiled one.
>
> Well, they won't peacefully coexist in the same directory, thats
> for sure.  The simplest method would be to use static linking.

I use bbox or dietlibc for that sort of thing.
When something does not compile with dietlibc, I guess it
is large enough to be better compiled non-static.

> The next easiest way, would be to use current CVS uClibc, enable
> LDSO_CACHE_SUPPORT, change LDSO_BASE_FILENAME to something like
> "ld-uClibc.so", then setup /etc/ld-uClibc.so.conf with whatever
> directories you want to use for uClibc linked shared libs and run
> ldconfig to create /etc/ld-uClibc.so.cache.
>
> > (The immediate goal is to have uclibc Midnight Commander to
> > run on glibc system without breaking stuff. That's why I need
> > both glibc- and uclibc-compiled glib)

I am looking into hardcoding [/usr]/libu instead of
[/usr]/lib into uclibc executables and ldso loader.
It seems this will sort the mess nicely.

So far I don't have much success tho.

If I am missing something obvious, let me know.
--
vda