[uClibc] gentoo built on uclibc ?

Erik Andersen andersen at codepoet.org
Sat Oct 2 21:03:25 UTC 2004

On Sat Oct 02, 2004 at 10:10:02PM +0200, Primero wrote:
> all dict_nis.* and dict_nisplus.* from src/util/Makefile
> and yp*.h header call in src/util/dict_open.c

Ok, these failures are expected, since nis/yp is not supported
by uClibc.  From uClibc/docs/Glibc_vs_uClibc_Differences.txt:

    8) libnsl provides support for Network Information Service
    (NIS) which was originally called "Yellow Pages" or "YP",
    which is an extension of RPC invented by Sun to share Unix
    password files over the network.  I personally think NIS is
    an evil abomination and should be avoided.  These days, using
    ldap is much more effective mechanism for doing the same
    thing.  uClibc provides a stub libnsl, but has no actual
    support for Network Information Service (NIS).  We therefore,
    also do not provide any of the headers files provided by
    glibc under /usr/include/rpcsvc.   I am open to implementing
    ldap based password authentication, but I do not personally
    intend to implement it (since I have no use for it).

> i've built it this way , but seems that name resolution has become
> totally broken since i always get "malformed dns reply".

What version of uClibc are you using?  I fixed the problem with
uClibc giving postfix and other email programs malformed dns
replies around the middle of August....