[uClibc] Install toolchain from buildroot

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at enix.org
Wed Nov 24 13:43:21 UTC 2004

Hello,

Volmat Alain a écrit :

> At the end of the "make" procress a root image is
> available
> but is there a simple way to "install" the toolchain which
> get compiled during the buildroot compilation process ?
> (in order to use it later to cross-compile some other
> source
> against uclibc ...)

No, there aren't any automated way to do it. Buildroot developers
recommend to use "toolchain" instead of "buildroot" to create
toolchains. However, I personaly think that it would be nice to be able
to install the toolchain produced by buildroot.

You have two solutions :

 1) Use the toolchain produced by buildroot directly where it was built
: build_ARCH/staging_dir. (Simply add
$BUILDROOT_PATH/build_ARCH/staging_dir/bin in your PATH).

 2) Tweak the Makefile so that the toolchain will be generated in an
other directory. I succeed in doing this with the old version of
buildroot (when there was no configuration tool). It simply involved
modification of the STAGING_DIR in the main Makefile. This allows to
generate the toolchain in an other directory, eventually accessible to
other users. I don't know if it's still possible to do it with recent
versions of Buildroot.

Thomas
PETAZZONI Thomas - thomas.petazzoni at enix.org
http://thomas.enix.org - Jabber: thomas.petazzoni at jabber.dk
KOS: http://kos.enix.org/ - Lolut: http://lolut.utbm.info
Fingerprint : 0BE1 4CF3 CEA4 AC9D CC6E  1624 F653 CB30 98D3 F7A7