[uClibc] mips dynamic section marked RWE

Erik Andersen andersen at codepoet.org
Thu Nov 11 19:48:15 UTC 2004

On Thu Nov 11, 2004 at 08:15:13PM +0100, Peter S. Mazinger wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Nov 2004, Erik Andersen wrote:
>
> > On Thu Nov 11, 2004 at 06:42:18PM +0100, Peter S. Mazinger wrote:
> > > Hello!
> > >
> > > Does anyone have an idea why the dynamic section on mips[el] is marked RWE
> > > (on other archs it is RW). Is it necessary or is it a toolchain problem
> > > only?
> >
> > As I recall, that was done on mips[el] since we were having
> > problems making gdb work.  I suspect that setting things RWE
> > is no longer necessary.  Care to revert that and confirm that
> > gdb still works?
>
> How/what to revert?

It turns out that the mprotect call I was thinking of has already
been reverted.  And because I wasn't reading carefully it turns
out I didn't answer your question at all...  :-)

I have no idea why this happens.  I see nothing causing it in the
kernel, or in uClibc/ldso/ldso/.  The mips ABI (SysV ABI, MIPS
Supplement, 3rd Edition) only shows .dynamic as type SHF_ALLOC
(section occupies memory during process execution), and doesn't
show READ, WRITE, or EXEC...