[uClibc] Excuse My Ignorance

Sean Young iguanadon_terrier at yahoo.com
Wed May 19 02:58:18 UTC 2004

Hi all,

First, please excuse my ignorance, as I have no real
knowledge of cross-compiling.  I am trying to compile
a floppy-sized router just as an experiment/learning
experience.

That said, I have downloaded and made both the
buildroot and toolchain using the scripts provided by
the uClibc website.

When I try to chroot into the buildroot (either the
/buildroot/build_i386/root/ dir or the mounted iso
image)  I get a segmentation fault.  I have tried
using "chroot buildroot/build_i386/root/ /bin/sh  -i",
and a couple of other similar commands that I now
forget. What shell specifically should I try to use
when I chroot?

When I compile something with the toolchain, and try
to execute it I get a seg fault. When I ldd it (I am
using the ldd that came with uClibc--I read the FAQ)
it seems to be looking for uClibc in /lib.  Is there
some special way to install the toolchain after it has
compiled? Any environment variables to set aside from
CC and CXX?

Finally, there is a definite lack of documentation on
uClibc and busybox.  The information I'm looking for
is extremely basic, and I really feel silly writing
the list with such stoopid questions (and looking like
an ass).  I have searched the archives and googled the
subject, but the documentation all seems to revolve
around building a cross-compiler, not using one.

Sorry again for asking such basic questions, but I'm
pretty much starting from the beginning here.

Thanks,

Sean