[uClibc] Re: strace 4.5.3 versus gcc 3.4 snapshot 20040406 uclibc mipsel

Bradley D. LaRonde brad at laronde.org
Wed May 12 04:23:49 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bradley D. LaRonde" <brad at laronde.org>
To: <strace-devel at lists.sourceforge.net>
Cc: <uclibc at uclibc.org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2004 4:57 PM
Subject: strace 4.5.3 versus gcc 3.4 snapshot 20040406 uclibc mipsel

> Using gcc 3.4 and uClibc for mipsel, built without -O, strace 4.5.3 seems
> work fine, but built -O[1,2,s] strace dies very quicky, doesn't matter
> static or dynamic linked.  It crashes apparently in main() on it's way to
> the first qualify().  Looks like stack mangling.  Seems to work fine with
> gcc 3.3.3.  I'm building gcc 3.4 branch head to try now.  Any other ideas?

This is fun.  If I build with -fwritable-strings in addition to -O it works
fine.  Tested on gcc 3.4.0 release and binutils binutils 2.15.90.0.1.1.

I built busybox with the same tools and without -fwritable-strings and it
seems to run just fine.

Should I post this to binutils and/or gcc lists?

Regards,
Brad