[uClibc] Linux 2.6 ROMFS vs EXT2

Pete Flugstad peteflugstad at mchsi.com
Thu Mar 11 16:10:14 UTC 2004

Thanks for the responses.

ROMFS most definately can be used for initial ram disk.  There's nothing
  wrong with this.  See example here (a bit dated, but still valid):

And, I've run a compact flash EXT3 system as a read-ONLY root
(effectively EXT2 in this case) with /tmp a tmpfs and parts of /var
pointing into temp.  This was done to save write cycles to the CF, and
no reason not to.

However, I'd like to make this thing easier to upgrade, and using
SYSLINUX with everything loaded from an initrd does this (just overwrite
the initrd/vmlinuz and reboot).  So I'm looking for ways to do this all
from RAM, and only save config data back to CF.

I've triple checked that I've got ROMFS compiled into my kernel (all
built-in, NO modules), but the genromfs generated initrd.gz still won't
mount as root.  I've got no idea why.

I can use the genext2fs to generate an EXT2 initrd and I'm probably
going to do that, just to work around this problem.  I don't see any
real problems with this (I don't care RO vs RW, since it's all in RAM
anyway, so if it get's corrupted, just reboot).   Anyone know any pros
or cons on ROMFS vs EXT2 for initrd?

Thanks,
Pete