[uClibc] Re: malloc in uclibc

Erik Andersen andersen at codepoet.org
Tue Mar 9 22:44:38 UTC 2004

On Tue Mar 09, 2004 at 10:57:49PM +0100, Peter S. Mazinger wrote:
> I have checked the other 2 malloc options to see where the heap
> randomization works. MALLOC works (although the help says, it does not
> use brk(), only mmap() ), MALLOC_SIMPLE does not work (at least this is
> what paxtest shows).

In the fine configuration system help (that I went to so much
trouble to write) it describes 'malloc-simple' and 'malloc' as
primarily intended for use on mmu-less systems.  I strongly doubt
anyone is running PAX on uClinux MMU-less systems...

'malloc-simple' works fine for me, but obviously since it is
entirely based on mmap() you should not expect PAX stack
randomization based on brk() to do anything for it.

'malloc' is the default for uClinux MMU-less systems.  It is at
least capable of using brk() rather than mmap() for allocations,
but I expect few if any people are using it on systems with an
MMU.

'malloc-standard' is the primary malloc you should care about.
Since neither it nor 'malloc' have been patched with support for
PAX stack randomization you can hardly expect such a thing to
work.