[uClibc] How do I build toolchain without a wrapper ?

Manuel Novoa III mjn3 at codepoet.org
Tue Mar 2 12:14:01 UTC 2004

On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 12:57:00PM +0100, Christian MICHON wrote:
> --- Manuel Novoa III <mjn3 at codepoet.org> a ?crit :
> > I wrote that 2.95 or 3.3.x (which builds gcc 3.3.3) are the only ones
> > working.  They create real <arch>-linux-uclibc toolchains.
> >
> > Manuel
>
> Not true. They're the only ones supported by buildroot. You can do
> otherwise manually outside of buildroot :)

Actually, if you take a look at current toolchain, Erik removed all
the other versions.  Given the previous post in the thread, it looked
like he was using an older version of toolchain and trying to build
one of the (now unsupported) targets.

> It's possible to write a gcc-2.7.2.3 & binutils-2.9, targetting
> uclibc. First you need to "merge" the binutils and gcc trees,
> then hack the files which were pointing to ld-linux.so.

I'm sure it is possible, and if someone wants to do it then more
power to them.  If someone wants to contract us to do it, then
we'll support it.  But currently, all we support is 2.95 and 3.3.3
in both buildroot _and_ toolchain.

> You can actually even bootstrap. I haven't tried it on the latest,
> but it definitely should still work !

Define latest.  We no longer 'hack' the files.  Last month I replaced
all of that source hacking with proper patches to build real
<arch>-linux-uclibc toolchains.  I've even build working objective c,
java, and fortran compilers in addition to c and c++.

Manuel