[uClibc] [BusyBox] Change in Mailing List Posting Policy

Erik Andersen andersen at codepoet.org
Fri Jun 18 20:21:50 UTC 2004

I have been running this mailing list for years now, and I have
gone to quite a lot of effort to keep the busybox and uClibc
mailing lists spam free.  For the past several years, I have had
mailman (the mailing list software) configured to hold all posts
by non-subscribers for moderation.  Some posts by non-subscribers
were spam and/or virus emails, but most were legitimate posts by
real people.  I then granted those non-subscribers perminant
posting priviledges.  This has been labor intensive for me, but
has allowed people the ability to post without the hassle of
subscribing to the lists.

Sadly, the list is now receiving literally _thousands_ of spam,
virus, and virus bounce emails per day.  This massive increase
means that despite my best efforts at automated spam filtering, I
have had to wade through over 50 non-subscriber emails per day,
discarding all the spam, and manually accepting the occasional
on-topic post by a real human wanting help.

Given the current volume of spam, manualy moderating non
subscriber posts is no longer practical and is not something I
am willing to waste any more of my time on.  The spammers have
apparently won yet another battle. :-(

Effective immediately, I now require people to be mailing list
subscribers in order to post to the busybox and uClibc mailing
lists.