[uClibc] about the name of your project

George Andreou georgea at her.forthnet.gr
Fri Jun 4 15:39:01 UTC 2004

OK, I know see what is the confusion.

It is like Pi (=3.1415...)
Everybody except Greeks pronounce Pi as 'p-eye' which is very difficult
for me to accept.
Greeks say Pi as in "pipi" or "Pit". There is no 'i' (eye) in Pi. So it
seams that the same goes for more letters of the greek alphabet.
The question is, when you are saying the letters of a foreign alphabet
do you pronounce them, the way you feel confortable, or the way the
native people pronounce the letters?
A good example is the letter "R" which is pronounced as 'are' in English
but as 'ere' in French.
Now go in a french class at the school of your neighbour and say R like
'are'.
The teacher will probably throw you out...

This is my point. Of course nobody can blame you (not you personaly, I
mean in general)
for the use of 'mu' since you dont know greek. The blame goes to ancient
greek governments
who  did their best to ruin our language (as it shows in the URLs you
point me to).
They did pay attention to "details". They were easy going in many issues
in order to please
our friends in Europe and beyond.
You see, we used to have accents (since the ancient era), like the
french do,
but one beautiful morning they were abandoned by a law voted in the
greek parliament by a very small fraction of the total members of our
parliament (about 40 members have voted out of 300, about 35 said "yes").

Anyway, the greek language is a very sad story, but from the evidence
you have provided it is very clear you have no other option than to say
µ as 'mu', but please if you have to say it in a conversation do the
mistake to pronounce it like 'mee' [1] ( written MH in greek capital
letters) and not 'm-ou' (mu).

[1] not 'mi' since from the example with pi you might read it 'm-eye'.

Thank you all, bye bye

George Andreou

--
George Andreou
Student of Applied Mathematics, University of Crete at Heraklion