[uClibc] toolchain + static/dynamic linking

Jon Anderson jon-anderson at rogers.com
Fri Jun 4 10:34:11 UTC 2004

Rob Landley wrote:

>On Wednesday 02 June 2004 22:45, Jon Anderson wrote:
>

>>Why does it seem that the toolchain compiler only creates static binaries?
>>

>This means that the .a files aren't in your path.  For some reason, binutils
>links stuff statically if it can't find .a versions of the libraries but can
>only find the .so versions.  (I have no idea why this is so; it took me a
>while to figure it out myself though.)

I just figured it out about two minutes ago...

Actually, it was somewhat the opposite. The shared .so's were
incorrectly linked -> for some reason there was a "../i386" in the
libxyz.so symbolic link. Probably something me or my Gentoo system had
to do with. :-)

>I install with:
>make RUNTIME_PREFIX=/tools/ DEVEL_PREFIX=/tools/ install_runtime install_dev

For the toolchain? I don't see any 'install_*' targets in the Makefile,
and typing the above (paths modified) gives:

toolchain-i386 # make RUNTIME_PREFIX=/opt/toolchain/i386/
DEVEL_PREFIX=/opt/toolchain/i386/ install_runtime install_dev
make: *** No rule to make target `install_runtime'.  Stop.

The only place that has those is uClibc itself, not the
toolchain...Which makes me wonder, am I on the right mailing list? (Is
there a buildroot/toolchain mailing list?)

>You may want to experiment with those two paths, since I'm building an unusual
>toolset.  Yes, the trailing slash is needed.  (Also, if you're not building a
>cross-compiler, you'll probably want to add the install_utils target as
>well...)

I was under the impression that the toolchain, once built, wasn't
supposed to be relocated...

Well, problem solved, so no worries.

Cheers

jon anderson