[uClibc] kdrive(TinyX)+uclibc

uclibc at zek7.com uclibc at zek7.com
Fri Jul 30 14:27:29 UTC 2004

>From Rogelio Serrano <rogelio at smsglobal.net> on 29 Jul 2004:

> On 2004-07-30 08:29:17 +0800 Mark W. Shelby
> <mshelby at aaahawk.com> wrote:
>
> > Can someone please provide me with some clear & concise
> > directions on where  to get kdrive or TinyX and how to compile it for use
> > with  uclibc?
> >
> > I have seen some older info on this list about this, but it
> > doesn't really  seem relevant.
> >
> > Any help is appreciated.
> >
> > -Mark _______________________________________________
> > uClibc mailing list
> > uClibc at uclibc.org
> >

> I think you can try asking the puppy linux guys. Check out the
> x.org too. I myself have given up a long time ago. I would
> rather reinvent the whole window system and make it X
> compatible.

I don't know if this is clear or concise, but I managed to get X and "tinyX" (xvesa) compiled from the v4.3.0 code in a uclibc native environment (the same configurations do not work for v4.4.0 - I've managed to get the main server compiled but not xvesa.) created using buildroot.

I did this around July 15th. It requires snapshot of uClibc (I do not have my notes with me so I can't at this point say exactly what the addition is in the recent months that is required); I won't give more details about creating the build environment unless you need them, but will point out that I seem to recall a perl dependency, and to build that you need the more recent of the two versions of the perlio.c patch.

I used the standard directions on how to compile X from source.

http://www.xfree86.org/4.3.0/BUILD.html

Using the following in my host.def file:

#define BuildServersOnly YES
#define KDriveXServer YES
#define TinyXServer YES
#define XvesaServer YES
#define XfbdevServer YES
#define BuildFonts NO

(I based that on the information found here, and elsewhere, as well as experimentation)

http://www.rule-project.org/en/sw/kdrive.php

Do a 'make World' and keep your fingers crossed.

Builing xvesa and xfbdev doesn't actually take that long compared to the standard servers.

Please note that this was a native compile done on and for i386; I suspect cross-compilation would be much trickier. The same _should_ work for x.org source, and I intend to try it, but I had so much fun doing this the first time that I wanted to savor it.

-Yvette