[uClibc] uclibc + python and pygame

Fredrik Tuomas fredrik at jpl.se
Thu Jul 29 13:00:39 UTC 2004

Hi
I have built and installed python (2.3.4) and pygame (1.6) with its
dependencies (pygame has quite a big dependency tree) in an uclibc
environment. I used the i386_root_fs uclibc environment
available at http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/uclibc/root_fs_i386.bz2.

I chroot into the i386_root_fs on my Linux 2.6.7 Athlon XP machine.

All source (python, pygame, sdl, freetype...) compiles and installs
just fine, but there is a problem with python and pygame.

When I do a simple test to try the pygame installation:

python -c "import pygame.base"

I get an error like this:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in ?
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/pygame/__init__.py", line
64, in ?
    from pygame.base import *
ImportError: File not found

which is very strange. I have no idea what to do. If someone has played
with Python and pygame with uclibc I would appreciate some comments or
feedback. Am I doing something (very simple?) wrong?

best regards, Fredrik Tuomas

(If pygame not is installed I get this message:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in ?
ImportError: No module named pygame.base)